1. Turn oven on to 300, chop tortillas into bite size pieces.
2. In medium stock pot, saute onion and garlic with olive oil.
3. Add chicken broth, chicken, chili powder and oregano.
4. When chicken is cooked through, shredd or chop and return to pot.
5. Add crushed tomatoes, corn, green chili peppers, black beans and 1/2 of cilantro.
6. Simmer for 20 minutes or more.
7. While soup simmers, place tortilla pieces in oven on a cooking sheet and brown.
8. Monitor browning tortillas periodically.
9. Serve with browned tortilla pieces, avocado slivers, green onions, shredded cheese and sour cream as toppings
Serve with corn bread.
The browned torilla pieces is what makes this soup special. You could opt for tortilla chips, but they really don't compare to the lightly browned, yet still chewy torilla pieces.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (565g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 186 (40%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 20.6g||28 %|
|Saturated Fat 7.4g||37 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 8.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3g|
|Cholesterol 69.4mg||21 %|
|Sodium 437.3mg||15 %|
|Potassium 1238.4mg||33 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 43.7g||13 %|
|Dietary Fiber 13.2g||53 %|
|Sugars, other 30.5g|
|Protein 32.1g||46 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 470
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.