Fluffy buttermilk waffles and buttermilk-brined, fried chicken combine to create an out-of-this world brunch (or anytime) dish. Our crowd-wowing recipe is the perfect sweet and savory indulgence. Try it this weekend, you will not be disappointed!
1. In a large bowl or plastic bag, combine 2 cups of buttermilk and 1 teaspoon of salt with your chicken. Cover and allow to marinate in the fridge for no less than 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
2. Bring chicken to room temperature for 30 minutes before you intend to fry.
3. Meanwhile, in a small tray or shallow bowl, combine all of your dry mix. Dip each thigh into the dry mix until it is fully coated and craggy. The craggier, the better to ensure maximum crunch. Place on a wire rack and repeat with the remaining chicken.
4. In a Dutch oven or deep cast iron skillet, heat 4 inches of oil -- just enough to accommodate the depth of your largest chicken thigh. Drop a small amount of batter into the oil to test that the oil is properly heated. Aim for roughly 350°F to start. Be sure to monitor the temperature as it will fluctuate as additional chicken is added. Try not to drop below a minimum temperature of 325°F.
5. Working in batches, carefully lower (away from you) the chicken thighs into the oil. Deep fry for roughly 5-7 minutes per side, or until crisp and golden and white through the center. Internal temperature should be 165°F. Place thighs on a wire rack and sprinkle with coarse sea salt while still piping hot.
6. Before adding additional batches, make sure oil is returned to 350°F. Repeat with remaining chicken thighs. Keep warm while preparing waffles.
7. To make waffles: In a small bowl, beat eggs lightly.
8. In a large bow, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
9. Add eggs to the flour mixture and stir until the dry ingredients are just combined and moistened.
10. Heat griddle. Brush lightly with oil, if needed. Pour batter by scant ¼ cupfuls onto the hot griddle and cook until just set and golden. Repeat.
11. Keep warm until needed.
12. Assemble one thigh on top of each waffle and drizzle with warm maple syrup to serve. Bacon is optional, but heartily recommended.
Allowing chicken to come to room temperature before frying ensures a tender texture and keeps the chicken from seizing up and going chewy.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (356g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 336 (52%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 37.4g||50 %|
|Saturated Fat 10.3g||52 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 18.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 4.9g|
|Cholesterol 199.5mg||61 %|
|Sodium 2733.6mg||94 %|
|Potassium 617.8mg||16 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 44.6g||13 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.1g||8 %|
|Sugars, other 42.5g|
|Protein 31.8g||45 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 646
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.