This sautéed chicken with wine and mediterranean ingredients is an old favourite that's easy to make. The original recipe was from "20 Minute Menus" by Marian Burros (1989) which had it paired with caraway potatoes. The book inspired us to invent quick and easy dishes with healthy ingredients. Ms Burros had a system of separating ingredients into "from the pantry" and ingredients "fresh from the store", making it easier to shop and plan.
I dug out the original recipe, and after 25 years we've adapted the recipe quite a bit. We vary the recipe depending on the ingredients on hand. Below is close to our normal implementation.
If you grow your own tomatoes, or find good ones on sale, buy a food dehydrator and dry them. Supposedly, you can dry them in the sun, and then legitimately call them "sun-dried", but a food dehydrator makes it easier and safer.
1. Wash and dry chicken and cut each breast half into strips.
2. Chop the dried tomatoes. if they aren't softened or packed in olive oil, simmer them in a sauce pan with 1tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp water.
3. Heat oil in skillet and brown chicken on both sides, add tapenade, pepper, salt.
4. Slice onion or leek, add to chicken and sauté.
5. Add tomatoes, olive oil and wine. Add oregano and more salt and pepper to taste. Add feta. Cover over low heat just until sauce has been heated through. Sprinkle with Armenian red pepper if you have any.
NOTE original recipe used ricotta and didn't have any tapenade. Throw in fresh spinach if you have any.
Serve with kalamata olives, rice or potatoes, and a salad. Don't fuss over the exact ingredients or measurements, you're just making a simple chicken dish in a wine-sauce with cheese and dried tomatoes.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (215g)|
|Recipe Makes: 3 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 96 (34%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 10.6g||14 %|
|Saturated Fat 5.7g||28 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.8g|
|Cholesterol 107mg||33 %|
|Sodium 554.8mg||19 %|
|Potassium 574.8mg||15 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 7.6g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.2g||5 %|
|Sugars, other 6.3g|
|Protein 36.6g||52 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 280
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!