To make the tomatillo salsa:
1. Roast the tomatillos (in the husk if possible) either under the broiler or on the grill. You want the husks to be blackened, with some blackened spots on the tomatillos as well. Remove from heat and let cool enough to remove husks and hull.
2. Place roasted tomatillos in a blender with remaining ingredients and puree. Salsa can be stored in the refrigerator. If it becomes a little gelatinous after refrigeration don't worry-- it will go back to normal after warming up a little.
To make the Chile Rellenos:
1. To roast the peppers, either under the broiler or on a grill over high heat, blacken the skin as much as possible without burning the pepper. Remove the blackened peppers to a paper bag and close to allow the peppers to steam 5-10 minutes (this will make peeling them easier). When cool enough to handle, peel and set aside.
2. Mix together the monterey jack and goat cheeses with the oregano.
3. Make a short slit in the length of each pepper, just long enough to carefully remove the seeds and stuff in the cheese mixture. The smaller the slit, the less filling will fall out during the frying. Also, keeping the slit as close as possible to the top of the pepper makes it easier to get the seeds out.
4. To make the batter, whisk together the egg, flour, baking powder, salt and water in a large bowl. The batter should have a thick consistency-- adjust as necessary.
5. In a deep fryer or a large heavy pan heat the oil until hot.
6. One pepper at a time, lightly dust the surface of the pepper with flour, then dip into the batter. holding by the stem. If you are using a deep fryer, hold the chile by the stem over the hot oil for five seconds then slowly lower into the oil taking care not to burn yourself. Cook for 3-4 minutes in the oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels while cooking remaining peppers.
Ladle the tomatillo salsa onto a plate. Place the fried peppers on top (this will help prevent them from getting too soggy) and serve immediately.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (709g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 2464 (90%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 273.8g||365 %|
|Saturated Fat 35.3g||177 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 162.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 70.6g|
|Cholesterol 119.4mg||37 %|
|Sodium 40114.6mg||1383 %|
|Potassium 631mg||17 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 62.3g||18 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16 %|
|Sugars, other 58.4g|
|Protein 23.4g||33 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 2730
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.