This red chili has it all, bacon, beef and beans. Don't be put off by the amount of ingredients. It comes to gather pretty quickly and is worth the time spent. It is a favorite with our whole family and friends. We enlist the help all hands at home but be sure to have plenty of tasting spoons on hand if you do.
1. In a large, deep skillet, brown bacon. Remove into a very large stock pot.
2. In a large (pref 2. gal) baggie toss steak, masa and salt until steak is well coated.
3. Sautee steak in skillet using reserved bacon grease then place in stock pot.
4. Sautee ground beef in skillet until all crumbly and nopink remains.
5. Add next 5 ingredients to stock pot. Stir and begin to warm on low heat.
6. Pour olive oil into skillet, heat on med high. Then sautee onion and bell peppers until they begin to soften.
Move them to the edges of the skillet and in the middle add tsp. of oilive oil. Once heated add minced garlic
stir garlic for 30 seconds (do not let brown) Turn off heat and add to stock pot.
7. Next add spices and minced parsley, stir thuroughly.
8. Heat to simmering. Reduce heat to low and cook for 1/2 hour. (If mixture is too thick at any point
add beef broth in 1/3 cup incriments to thin as desired)
9. Finally, add beans. mix well bring to a had simmer. Turn off heat and serve with desired condiments.
The Massa makes the beef tender when sautéing and thickens the chili as well as adding a wonderful flavor. You can add a little more at the end for thickness and flavor.
My husband insists it's even better the next day.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (2189g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 1461 (51%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 162.3g||216 %|
|Saturated Fat 96.3g||482 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 51.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 5.7g|
|Cholesterol 617.8mg||190 %|
|Sodium 2262.2mg||78 %|
|Potassium 6482.9mg||171 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 205.8g||61 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4 %|
|Sugars, other 204.8g|
|Protein 155.1g||222 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 2876
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!