1. Cut the leeks and potatoes into slices.
2. Sweat the leeks in olive oil without letting them brown.
3. Add stock and potatoes and bring to a boil. Simmer until the vegetables are tender.
4. Pass the soup through a food mill.
5. If the soup is too thick, add a little stock to bring it to the proper consistency.
6. Chill the soup thoroughly.
7. Add salt and white pepper to taste.
8. While the soup is chilling, prepare the garnish. Cut the fennel and half lengthwise into paper-thin slices (a slicing machine may be used). Cut these slices lengthwise in to rough julienne.
9. Toss the fennel with the lemon juice, then with half the olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
10. Toss the shrimp with the remaining olive oil.
11. Stir the heavy cream and buttermilk into the chilled soup.
12. Arrange the fennel salad In the center of broad soup plates. Arrange 3 shrimp on top of each mound of fennel.
13. Place to sit plate in front of the diner, then ladle in A portion of soup from a tureen.
The fennel and shrimp garnish maybe omitted for a simpler presentation. Water may be substituted for the stock. Leeks our flavorful enough to make a delicious soup even without stock.
Substitute butter for olive oil. Omit buttermilk and increase heavy cream to 16 - 20 fl oz (500-600 mL). Omit fennel and shrimp salad garnish. Garnish with chopped chives.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (529g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 171 (49%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 18.9g||25 %|
|Saturated Fat 6.7g||34 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 9.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.9g|
|Cholesterol 38mg||12 %|
|Sodium 552mg||19 %|
|Potassium 852.1mg||22 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 33.3g||10 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.2g||13 %|
|Sugars, other 30.2g|
|Protein 11.8g||17 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 347
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!