1. Wrap sweet potatoes in tin foil; do not pierce and roast in the oven for about 45 minutes to an hour at 375 degrees. Once soft, peel and cube. (Some of these will get smashed and some will not, so cube to your desired size.)
2. If using fresh corn on the cob, your cobs can be used to produce a broth. Place in a bowl with the heavy cream to infuse the corn flavor while you?re cooking the chowder. Discard cobs before adding the cream to the pot.
3. Fry bacon in a dutch oven or other large heavy bottomed pot. Once crispy, remove and set aside, leaving the bacon fat in your pot.
4. Cook leeks, onion, corn, thyme and marjoram in the bacon fat, stirring constantly until tender.
5. Add cubed sweet potatoes, 1-1 1/2 boxes of chicken stock, and chipotle peppers; simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Using an immersion blender, blend 1/2-1/3 of the soup. (You want to leave some of the corn and potato cubes whole.) At this point, you can add more chicken stock if needed, keeping in mind that you will still be adding in 1 1/2 cups heavy cream.
6. Simmer chowder for another 10 minutes, then add heavy cream (minus corn cobs) and combine well. If your chowder seems too thick, add more chicken stock and/or water to thin until you reach the desired consistency. Top with crumbled bacon.
Tips: Serve with corn chips or a nice crusty french loaf
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 recipe (1845g)|
|Recipe Makes: 0 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 2148 (66%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 238.7g||318 %|
|Saturated Fat 116.8g||584 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 84.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 18.9g|
|Cholesterol 641.4mg||197 %|
|Sodium 3173.9mg||109 %|
|Potassium 4389.6mg||116 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 239.4g||70 %|
|Dietary Fiber 35.9g||144 %|
|Sugars, other 203.4g|
|Protein 58.8g||84 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 3253
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.