1. Heat oven to 350?F. Have ready a heart-shape cake pan (about 101/2 x 10 x 2 in., 101/2 x 11 x 2 in. or 9 x 3 in., see Note). Coat with nonstick spray, line bottom with wax paper; spray paper. Lightly dust pan with flour.
2. Cake: Spread nuts on rimmed baking sheet; bake, stirring twice, 7 minutes or until very lightly toasted. Cool. Process 2/3 cup nuts and the flour in a food processor until nuts are finely ground.
3. Melt chocolate and butter in a large bowl in microwave. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, egg yolks, extracts, then nut mixture until blended.
4. Beat egg whites with mixer on medium speed until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining 2 Tbsp sugar. Beat until stiff, shiny peaks form when beaters are lifted. Stir a large spoonful into chocolate mixture until blended, then fold in remaining whites. Spread in prepared pan.
5. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until a thin crust forms on top and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out slightly wet. Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Invert cake on rack, remove paper and cool completely (center of cake will sink slightly).
6. Glaze: Put corn syrup, water and butter in a 1-qt microwave-safe measure or bowl. Microwave on high until boiling. Add chocolate; whisk until melted and smooth. Cool 15 minutes.
7. To assemble: Cut cake, still on rack, horizontally in 2 even layers. Remove top layer; spread bottom layer with spreadable fruit. Cover with second layer, cut side down. Put rack on wax paper. Pour warm chocolate glaze on cake, quickly spreading with a long, narrow metal spatula over top and sides. Let stand 30 minutes or until glaze sets but is still soft.
8. Using 2 large, broad spatulas, transfer cake to a serving plate. Press remaining toasted almonds into glaze on sides.
9. To serve: Top cake with a rose and scattered rose petals.Planning Tip: Can be completed up to 2-days ahead. Store covered at room temperature to maintain a shiny, soft-set glaze. Or refrigerate (glaze will harden and have a matte finish).
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (145g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 190 (66%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 21.1g||28 %|
|Saturated Fat 5.6g||28 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 9.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.4g|
|Cholesterol 533.8mg||164 %|
|Sodium 232.9mg||8 %|
|Potassium 269.5mg||7 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 6.6g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.8g||7 %|
|Sugars, other 4.8g|
|Protein 19g||27 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 288
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!