- Start with room temp egg whites
- Use copper bowl (bowl put in fridge for awhile along with beaters; make sure beaters are CLEAN) for egg whites or use aluminum bowl with pinch of cream of tartar too.
- When boiling milk, can use microwave to boil milk
- When assembling souffle dish, use wax paper to make a collar on dish. Use scotch tape to secure; take wax paper and fold in 1/2 lengthwise, wrap around souffle dish.
1. Butter well a 6-cup souffle dish. Sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon sugar; shake excess out. Place a wax paper collar around dish. In a saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour. Add milk slowly. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick. Add 1/2 cup sugar to melted chocolate and cacao. Combine both mixtures. Cool 15 minutes. Add yolks. Fold in beaten egg whites. Pour into a 1.5 quart souffle dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or 30 minutes for a less-runny souffle.
2. Sauce: gradually beat sugar into yolks, beating until very pale yellow. Beat in cornstarch. Continue beating and very gradually add boiling milk. Cook slowly, stirring constantly, until mixture coats a spoon. Strain sauce through a sieve (my notes state it won't need to be strained). Add a little cacao flavoring, if desired. Serve at room temperature over souffle. Pass sauce in a bowl.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (511g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 1355 (64%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 150.6g||201 %|
|Saturated Fat 91.5g||457 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 45g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 6.1g|
|Cholesterol 559.1mg||172 %|
|Sodium 144mg||5 %|
|Potassium 1590.4mg||42 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 225.5g||66 %|
|Dietary Fiber 28.5g||114 %|
|Sugars, other 197g|
|Protein 34.5g||49 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 2126
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!