1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside.
2. Place bread pieces in food processor to make breadcrumbs. Melt 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter in microwave. In a medium bowl add breadcrumbs and melted butter, and toss. Set the breadcrumbs aside.
3. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk.
4. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Slowly pour hot milk into flour-butter mixture while whisking. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.
5. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups Tillamook Cheddar, and 1 1/2 cups Jarlsberg. Set cheese sauce aside.
6. Fill a large pan with water. Bring to a boil. Add macaroni; cook 2 minutes less than manufacturer's directions. The macaroni should be cooked on the outside and underdone on the inside (al-dente). Drain the macaroni, rinse under cold running water to stop the cooking process. Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce.
7. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish(s).
8. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups Tillimook Cheddar and 1/2 cup Jarlesberg Swiss on the top. OPTIONAL scatter breadcrumbs over the top.
9. Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes; serve.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (402g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12|
|Calories from Fat: 465 (54%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 51.7g||69 %|
|Saturated Fat 32.4g||162 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 14.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2g|
|Cholesterol 160.2mg||49 %|
|Sodium 1353.8mg||47 %|
|Potassium 570.8mg||15 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 50.3g||15 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.7g||7 %|
|Sugars, other 48.6g|
|Protein 46.9g||67 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 857
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.