For the dough:
1. In a food processor, combine the P.A.N. Pre-cooked Yellow Corn Flour, all-purpose flour, sugar and salt at medium speed.
2. Add the butter and blend until the mixture becomes grainy. Add the egg and blend.
3. Add half of the water and blend for 3 to 4 minutes. Pour in the rest of the water, vanilla and cinnamon. Blend until smooth.
4. Remove the dough and press it together with your hands. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
For the filling:
1. In a pot or pan, combine the apples, sugar, water, vanilla, cinnamon and lemon juice. Bring to a boil on medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes. Separate the apples from the simple syrup. Set both aside.
1. Preheat the oven to 355ºF and prepare a non-stick baking tray.
2. Divide the dough into 2 equal portions. Form two cylinders and divide each into 10-12 small portions.
3. Over plastic wrap, flatten the dough into a rectangle.
4. Assemble the empanadas by placing an apple between two portions of dough and sealing the edges using a fork. Trim the edges.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden. After 10 minutes, glaze with the apple simple syrup.
6. Remove the empanadas and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (115g)|
|Recipe Makes: 10 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 74 (52%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 8.3g||11 %|
|Saturated Fat 5.1g||26 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.4g|
|Cholesterol 21.4mg||7 %|
|Sodium 11440mg||394 %|
|Potassium 65.1mg||2 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 15g||4 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||6 %|
|Sugars, other 13.5g|
|Protein 1.4g||2 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 141
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.