1. Peel and chop the onion to measure 1 cup. Peel and finely chop the garlic.
2. In a 3-quart saucepan, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is thoroughly cooked. Place a strainer or colander in the sink; line with a double thickness of paper towels. Pour the beef mixture into the strainer to drain. Return beef mixture to saucepan; discard paper towels and any juices in the bowl.
3. Into the beef, stir the chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper sauce and tomatoes with their liquid.
4. Heat the mixture to boiling over high heat. Once mixture is boiling, reduce heat just enough so mixture bubbles gently. Cover with lid; cook 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
5. Stir in the beans with their liquid. Heat to boiling over high heat. Once mixture is boiling, reduce heat just enough so mixture bubbles gently. Cook uncovered about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until desired thickness.
Hint: you can always cook in a crock pot
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (182g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 55 (33%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 6.1g||8 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.4g||12 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.4g|
|Cholesterol 36.9mg||11 %|
|Sodium 415mg||14 %|
|Potassium 352.4mg||9 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 12g||4 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.9g||16 %|
|Sugars, other 8.1g|
|Protein 14.4g||21 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 165
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.