1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, and ginger. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars at medium speed until light, about 3 minutes. Beat in the egg.
3. In a smaill bowl, stir together the hot water, baking soda, and molasses until the baking soda is dissolved. At low speed, gradually add this mixture to the butter mixture. Increase the speed to medium and mix until blended. At low speed, add the dry ingredients in several additions, mixing just until combined. Scrape the dough onto a work surface and shape it into a disk. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerat until firm, at least 2 hours (or up to 3 days.)
Cut and bake the cookies
4. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350F. Grease two baking sheets.
5. Divide the chilled dough into quarters. Rewrap and refrigerate three of the quarters. On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough out to a thickness of 1/8 inch, lightly flouring the dough and work surface as needed. Using 2.75-inch cookie cutters, cut out as many cookies as possible from the dough. Carefully transfer the cookies to one of the prepared baking shets and sprinkle them with coarse sugar, if desired. Gather the scraps of dough together into a ball, flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm enough to roll, about 30 minutes.
6. Bake the cookies until the tops are set, 8 minutes. Cool the cookies on the baking shet on a wire rack for 2 minutes, then transfer to the wire rack to cool completely. Repeat the rolling, cutting, and baking procedure with the remaining dough. Reroll the scraps from each portion one time only to make more cookies.
Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Dozen (123g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4|
|Calories from Fat: 217 (42%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 24.1g||32 %|
|Saturated Fat 14.9g||74 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 6.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.1g|
|Cholesterol 87.4mg||27 %|
|Sodium 257.5mg||9 %|
|Potassium 136.1mg||4 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 70.5g||21 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.9g||8 %|
|Sugars, other 68.6g|
|Protein 5.4g||8 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 513
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.