Classic Indian Naan, by Rosemary Moon Here we go again. Part 3 of the Naan saga. Once again I tried to make it. Once again it didnt come out like I have had it in restaurants. It was closer this time, but not *right* It came out too thick. The Naan I have had has been thin. Its had almost a greasy quality about it. What I made tonight was more like a biscuit would be. Has anyone had success making this? If so, what are any hints you can give? Here is the recipe I used.
1. Place the flour, salt, onion powder, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl and mix well.
2. Heat the milk until it is lukewarm.
3. Reserve 1/2 tb of yogurt and add the rest to the milk and blend thoroughly.
4. Beat the egg and set to one side. Melt the butter.
5. Add the milk and yogurt mixture, the egg, and butter to the flour, and knead with your hands until a soft and springy dough is formed.
6. Place the dough in a large plastic bag. Loosely seal the bag so that the dough has enough room for expansion. Leave in a warm place for 30-60 minutes, until doubled in size. divide the dough into 4 balls, cover them, and set aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
7. Switch on the oven, and put an ungreased baking sheet into it for about 10 minutes. Remove the sheet from the oven and line it with waxed paper. take one of the balls and stretch it gently to make a teardrop shape.
8. Lay this on the baking sheet and press it gently to stretch it until about 6-7 inches in length, maintaining the teardrop shape at all times.
9. Make the other 3 shapes similarly, and brush with the reserved yogurt.
Bake on the top shelf of a 450F oven for 10-12 minutes, or until puffed and browned.
Keep the naan warm in a clean dishcloth or foil package until ready to serve.
Source: Lisa Clarke, adapted from "Classic Indian Cuisine" 1995,
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (88g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4|
|Calories from Fat: 31 (12%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 3.5g||5 %|
|Saturated Fat 1.7g||8 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.4g|
|Cholesterol 32.4mg||10 %|
|Sodium 825.7mg||28 %|
|Potassium 159.8mg||4 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 50.1g||15 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.3g||9 %|
|Sugars, other 47.8g|
|Protein 8.4g||12 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 268
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.