1. Saute cashews in EVOO for ~2 min until slightly browned. Transfer to a food processor with at least 2 cup capacity.
2. Add onion to the same pan and cook until softened. Add garlic, ginger and toasted spices ad cook one minute more. Transfer to stoneware and toss with carrots.
3. Add coconut milk and turmeric to the food processor and process with cashews until smooth. Add to stoneware.
4. Add 1/4 cup water to the food processor to rinse residual nut sauce, then add to stoneware.
5. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
6. Before serving, add frozen peas and chile pepper and heat until warmed through. Garnish with cilantro and serve (I serve atop rice, but it is fine without).
Note: This recipe does not need to be made in a slow cooker, you just need to allow enough time to let the carrots get tender. If omitting the slow-cooker, I would recommend adding the carrot coins after sauteing the onion mixture. Add 3/4 cup water to the pan at this step, reduce heat and cover the pan to allow the carrots to simmer/steam for 10-15 minutes. When carrots are tender, uncover and add the cashew/coconut sauce (omitting the rinse) and simmer a few minutes to combine flavors. Add the peas and chile to heat through, and serve garnished with cilantro as above.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (212g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 128 (52%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 14.2g||19 %|
|Saturated Fat 4.1g||21 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.9g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 157mg||5 %|
|Potassium 445.2mg||12 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 24.9g||7 %|
|Dietary Fiber 5.7g||23 %|
|Sugars, other 19.3g|
|Protein 7.4g||11 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 246
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.