Scrumptious French toast with a taste of the tropics, touched by the flavor of coconut and banana.
1. Cut bread into 4 2-inch slices. Trim crusts, and cut in half diagonally.
2. Combine eggs and next 6 ingredients in a mixing bowl. If the coconut cream is congealed, warm the coconut cream in the microwave and stir till the mixture is smooth and liquid. Transfer to a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
3. Soak bread in egg mixture, turning so all sides are coated. Pressing down on the bread will help absorb the egg mixture all the way through the bread.
4. Preheat oven to 350°.
5. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet or griddle. Drain bread slices and cook in hot butter 30 to 45 seconds or until golden brown. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, toast the coconut flakes lightly.
7. Warm plates to serve the French toast on (they are best when eaten still warm to hot).
8. Use a sharp knife to slice the banana very thinly and garnish the plate and the tops of the cooked bread with them (thicker slices can go on the plate, the thinnest on the bread).
9. Serve with powdered sugar, toasted coconut flakes and maple syrup. Alternate: serve with spiced rum reduction glaze/syrup of rum, honey, maple syrup and coconut cream.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (298g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 313 (40%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 34.8g||46 %|
|Saturated Fat 23.7g||118 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 5.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.4g|
|Cholesterol 430.6mg||133 %|
|Sodium 733.3mg||25 %|
|Potassium 591.2mg||16 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 95.3g||28 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.2g||13 %|
|Sugars, other 92.1g|
|Protein 24.8g||35 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 782
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe.