1. Using either homemade, mix, or frozen, pre-bake a 9 or 9-1/2 inch pie shell. To keep crust from collapsing or having air pockets while baking without filling, prick the bottom and sides of the crust with a fork all over. Line the inside with a piece of foil, then fill the foil to at least an inch with dried beans or rice to weigh it down. Bake at 450 for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove foil/beans, then cool on a rack.
2. For the filling, combine the half and half, milk and butter in a heavy saucepan. Bring just to a boil over medium heat (if you let it go too long it will scorch and stick).
3. While the milk mixture is warming up, combine 1/2 cup sugar, 2 egg yolks, cornstarch, vanilla and salt in a medium bowl using a whisk. Mixture will be very thick, but the more you whisk it, the smoother it will become. Whisk until cornstarch is completely dissolved and mixture is well blended.
4. Gradually add the egg mixture to the milk mixture, stirring constantly with wire whisk. Cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute or until thickened. Add marshmallows and 1/2 cup of coconut. Cook and stir until marshmallows melt and mixture is well blended, then remove from heat.
5. Pour into pie shell. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 2 hours (or freeze for 1 to 1-1/2 hours).
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lower oven rack to center setting.
7. For meringue: In large bowl, beat 6 egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed until soft peaks form. Add 3/4 cup sugar, a small amount at a time, beating constantly and at high speed, until stiff peaks form. Remove plastic wrap from cooled filling, and spread the meringue over the filling. Make sure that the meringue seals to the crust all the way around. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of coconut over top of meringue.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Chill any leftovers.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (312g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 263 (47%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 29.2g||39 %|
|Saturated Fat 13.7g||69 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 10.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.8g|
|Cholesterol 449.9mg||138 %|
|Sodium 431.7mg||15 %|
|Potassium 428.3mg||11 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 50.1g||15 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.4g||6 %|
|Sugars, other 48.7g|
|Protein 25.3g||36 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 559
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.