1. Bring 1 1/4 cups of water seasoned with salt to a boil. Add 1/2 cup uncooked pearled barley and turn heat down to low. Let it cook for 20-30 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed. The barley will be soft but still have a nice bite to it. Set aside.
2. Heat 1 tsp of EVOO in a skillet and add 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes with 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic.
3. After some juices are released (2-3 minutes) add in the cooked barley along with salt and pepper to taste. If there's a decent amount of tomato juice make sure to simmer the mixture on low until all of the liquid is absorbed.
4. Add 3 cups of baby arugula or spinach and combine. I find using tongs makes incorporating leafy greens a little easier and moves the wilting process along.
5. Remove from heat and drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil. Add lemon zest to taste and give it all a good stir.
add a splash of balsamic for zing if desired.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (334g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 14 (9%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 1.6g||2 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.2g||1 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.3g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 143.8mg||5 %|
|Potassium 219.5mg||6 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 31g||9 %|
|Dietary Fiber 8.7g||35 %|
|Sugars, other 22.3g|
|Protein 8.1g||12 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 158
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!