1. I use only 1 to 1 ½ cups of “wet” ingredients (binders) even though the recipe shows 2 cups. I recommend you start out using half the amounts of sour cream and mayo shown, then you can always add more if needed. To be more health conscious, consider low fat or no fat sour cream and mayo. Yogurt should work as well.
2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix with a folding motion so you don’t smash the beans.
3. Sample. Add more sour cream, mayo or yogurt if the mix seems dry. Add salt if the flavors seem muted overall. Consider adding more jalapeno or onion if you aren’t tasting enough of those.
4. Cover and chill, overnight if possible, so the flavors will blend.
5. Serve with corn chips or tortilla chips.
6. Don’t be afraid to experiment and change up the amounts listed above. If you love the corn in this salsa, use two cans instead of one. If you love black beans but not black-eyed peas, double up on the beans. If you couldn’t find fresh cilantro or didn’t want to pay the high price, try adding something like cumin or chili powder to boost the Mexican flavor. Just be sure to keep track of your alterations because you are guaranteed to be asked for the recipe or asked to bring it again to the next gathering.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Recipe (2117g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Serving|
|Calories from Fat: 1750 (57%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 194.4g||259 %|
|Saturated Fat 82g||410 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 32.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 6.4g|
|Cholesterol 428.5mg||132 %|
|Sodium 5086.9mg||175 %|
|Potassium 3764.6mg||99 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 236g||69 %|
|Dietary Fiber 52.9g||212 %|
|Sugars, other 183.1g|
|Protein 126g||180 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 3092
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.