1. Butter a 3 1/2-quart shallow glass baking dish. Arrange the shrimp in the baking dish in a single layer. Cover with plastic and refrigerate.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the cream and sherry with the shrimp shells. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat for 25 minutes; strain through a coarse sieve set over a large glass measuring cup; you should have about 2 1/2 cups.
3. Preheat the oven to 400?. Melt the 1 tablespoon of solid butter in a medium skillet. Add the scallions and cook over moderate heat, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the shrimp cream and simmer until reduced to 2 cups, about 5 minutes. Gradually add soften cream cheese, stirring until incorporated. Add corn. Pour the mixture into a bowl and stir in the lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce; let cool until tepid. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and evenly pour the cream over them.
4. Put the oyster crackers in a sturdy resealable plastic bag, press the air out and seal to close. Lay the bag on a work surface and, using a rolling pin or a heavy pan, crush the crackers until coarse crumbs form. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add the 4 tablespoons of melted butter and the paprika and stir to coat.
5. Scatter the cracker crumbs over the shrimp and pat to smooth. Bake the casserole in the center of the oven for 25 minutes, or until bubbling around the edge and the shrimp are just cooked through. Remove from the oven. Preheat the broiler. Broil the casserole for 30 seconds, rotating as necessary, until the topping is evenly browned. Let stand at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
The casserole can be prepared through Step 4 and refrigerated overnight. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before proceeding.
Cook's notes: I have sometimes added chopped green or red pepper when cooking the onion. Adds a bit of extra flavour and colour
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (186g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 401 (80%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 44.5g||59 %|
|Saturated Fat 27.2g||136 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 11.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.2g|
|Cholesterol 241mg||74 %|
|Sodium 165.6mg||6 %|
|Potassium 262.7mg||7 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 8g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||3 %|
|Sugars, other 7.3g|
|Protein 17.5g||25 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 499
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.