1. Preheat oven to 325 F, and grease 3 qt baking dish (9 X 13). Set aside.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. When boiling, add dried pasta and cook 1 minute less than the package directs for al dente. Drain and drizzle with a little bit of olive oil to keep from sticking
3. While water is coming to a boil, grate cheeses and toss together to mix, then divide into three piles. Approximately 3 cups for the sauce, 1.5 cups for the inner layer, 1.5 cups for topping.
4. Melt butter in a large sauce pan over MED heat. Sprinkle in flour and whisk to combine. Mixture will look like very wet sand. Cook for approximately 1 minute, whisking often. Slowly pour in about 2 cups or so of milk/half & half, while whisking constantly, until combined and smooth. Slowly pour in remaining milk/half & half, while whisking constantly until combined and smooth.
5. Continue to heat over MED heat, whisking very often, until thickened to a very thick consistency. It should almost be consistency of a semi thinned out condensed soup.
6.Remove from heat and stir in spices and 1.5 cups of cheeses, stirring to melt and combine. Stir in another 1.5 cups of cheese and stir until completely melted & smooth.
7. In lg bowl, combine drained pasta with cheese sauce and stir to combine. Pour 1/2 of pasta mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with 1.5 cups of grated cheeses, then top that with remaining pasta mixture.
8.Sprinkle the top with the last 1.5 cups of cheese. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top if desired. Bake for 15 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and lightly golden brown.
Make ahead: Make as directed (but do not bake), transfer to baking dish and cool completely. Cover tightly with foil and refrigerate 1-2 days ahead. Before baking let dish sit on counter for 30 minutes . Bake at recipe temperature for 25-35 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (245g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 435 (75%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 48.3g||64 %|
|Saturated Fat 30.1g||150 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 13.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.8g|
|Cholesterol 149.4mg||46 %|
|Sodium 481.4mg||17 %|
|Potassium 211.7mg||6 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 11g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||2 %|
|Sugars, other 10.5g|
|Protein 26g||37 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 579
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!