1. Cut the base off the heads of garlic to separate the cloves. Mash them under a chef's knife to separate clove from skin.
2. Heat a large, wide saucepan over low heat. Add the butter and canola oil and heat until the butter melts. Add the garlic cloves, onion, leeks, shallots, thyme, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent but not browned, about 7 minutes.
3. Stir in the potatoes, milk, bay leaf, and 2 cups of the stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a steady simmer. Simmer until the potatoes are very tender, about 1 hour.
4. While the soup simmers, preheat the oven to 300F. On a half sheet pan, toss the bread with the olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spread in a single layer and bake until browned and crispy, about 20 minutes.
5. Remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaf from the soup. Puree the potatoes and liquid until just smooth. Return the soup to the saucepan and stir in the cream, the remaining 2 cups chicken stock, and 1 teaspoon salt. Heat through over low heat and stir in the nutmeg. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot with croutons.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (286g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 91 (30%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 10.2g||14 %|
|Saturated Fat 4.3g||21 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.3g|
|Cholesterol 18mg||6 %|
|Sodium 137.2mg||5 %|
|Potassium 928.9mg||24 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 49g||14 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.8g||15 %|
|Sugars, other 45.2g|
|Protein 6.4g||9 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 304
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!