1) Take the pork belly with the skin up and use a knife to score it. For better results on the crackling, take a tool with a sharp point like toothpicks or satay sticks to make small holes on the skin surface.
2) Make a marinade of the 5 spice powder, salt, white pepper, black pepper and (you guessed right) the secret ingredient, freshly squeezed lemon juice.
3) Rub the marinade all over the pork belly and leave it overnight in the fridge skin up. Be sure to get as much of the marinade in and around the score lines and holes earlier made.
4) Crank up your oven to 180 degrees celsius but in my case, I used my Philips air fryer. Pop in the pork belly skin up.
5) About 15 minutes into the roasting, use the remaining marinade and brush it over the half cook pork belly.
6) Wait another 15 minutes and your lovely pork belly is ready.
7) This step is optional but if you would like to get a super crispy skin, cut away the pork belly skin. Dip it in the pork oil at the bottom of the pan and ensure that it is fully coated. Turn up the oven/ air fryer to 200 degrees celsius and continue roasting the pork skin until super crispy. This also allows you to let the pork meat stand and seal in the juices. Simply fetch the crackling pork skin once done and serve it with the pork meat once ready.
The secret ingredient for this recipe is the freshly squeezed lemon juice which makes the pork belly "light". It just keeps the crowd wanting more. Be sure not to miss this out.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (168g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 597 (92%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 66.3g||88 %|
|Saturated Fat 24.2g||121 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 30.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 7.1g|
|Cholesterol 90mg||28 %|
|Sodium 40.5mg||1 %|
|Potassium 252.4mg||7 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 1.8g||1 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.8g||3 %|
|Sugars, other 1g|
|Protein 11.9g||17 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 652
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.