These low-carb, keto-leaning Crispy Smashed Brussels are a quick-and-easy weeknight wonder that are reminiscent of the steakhouse favorite, smashed potatoes. The crispy, cheesy, caramelized appeal of crunchy oven-roasted sprouts will convert even the most brussels-averse person at your table. Just 15 minutes of active prep time stands between you and this outrageously delicious and equally good-for-you vegetable side.
1. Preheat oven to 425F degrees. Arrange rack into the upper third position of the oven.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, parboil brussels with 2 tablespoons water for 5-6 minutes on high, or until nearly fork tender (stirring and rotating halfway through). Drain and thoroughly pat dry.
3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine butter and 2 whole garlic cloves and simmer on low until butter is melted and garlic has infused its flavor. Keep the butter and garlic on warm until needed.
4. Transfer brussels to a large, rimmed baking sheet. Using the flat bottom of a large glass or mug, smash the brussels into ½-inch thick disks.
5. With a pastry brush or small spoon, drizzle each sprout with the garlic-infused butter, leaving half of the butter for the other side. Season to taste with sea salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes, if using.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, then flip. Using remaining butter, brush alternate sides. Sprinkle with Parmesan and continue baking until crispy and cheese is golden brown, about 5-10 minutes.
7. Garnish with lemon zest, if desired, and serve immediately for maximum crispness.
We highly recommend enjoying these right out of the oven for maximum crisp and wow factor.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (127g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 84 (64%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 9.3g||12 %|
|Saturated Fat 5.7g||29 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.5g|
|Cholesterol 23.9mg||7 %|
|Sodium 146.6mg||5 %|
|Potassium 451.2mg||12 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 10.7g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4.3g||17 %|
|Sugars, other 6.4g|
|Protein 4.5g||6 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 132
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.