1. Cook pasta until just done, making sure it still has a bit of a bite. You don't want it to get too mushy once in the crockpot. Drain and set aside until cheese sauce is ready.
2. In a large saucepan, melt half the butter. Once the butter is frothy, whisk in the flour and ground mustard. Allow the flour to cook until just starting to color, then whisk in the milk. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue stirring, being sure the scrape the bottom of the pan. Allow the mixture to come to a slow simmer and continue stirring until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 the cheddar and all the Monterrey jack cheese.
3. Once the cheese mixture has cooled slightly, fold in the sour cream and pasta. Once combined, gently fold in the eggs, being careful not to over-mix. The mixture does not need to be completely homogenous.
4. In a small pan (you can re-use one of the pans used above), melt the remaining 1/2 stick of butter over low heat. Once melted, add 4 oz of the cheddar and stir to melt the cheese into the butter. Once melted, transfer to the crockpot stoneware.
5. Once the melted cheese mixture is in the bottom, spoon the cheesy pasta mixture in on top of it. Top with the remaining 4 oz cheddar.
6. Set the crock pot to low heat for 3 hrs to cook through. Enjoy!
Note: This recipe can also be doubled and just fits in my large crockpot.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (356g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 526 (71%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 58.4g||78 %|
|Saturated Fat 36.7g||184 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 16.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.9g|
|Cholesterol 175.4mg||54 %|
|Sodium 900.7mg||31 %|
|Potassium 444.6mg||12 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 17.7g||5 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.3g||1 %|
|Sugars, other 17.4g|
|Protein 36.2g||52 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 738
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.