1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Over a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and 1/3 cup sugar. Stir in currants. Add heavy cream to bowl and use an electric mixer to blend on low until ingredients are just combined.
3. Dump dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead very briefly. Roll dough out to a 1-inch thickness. Use a 1 to a 1 1/2 inch cookie or biscuit cutter to cut out scones. Place scones 1 inch apart on a greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet. Recollection scraps and repeat process until all dough has been used. (If you don't have a cookie or biscuit cutter, you can shape dough into a rectangle 1 in. thick, then cut into 20 squares. Or you can divide the dough in half and roll out two 1 inch-thick circles, then cut them into 10 equal wedges.
4. Use a pastry brush to paint tops of scones with melted butter, then sprinkle with sugar. Place baking sheet in center of oven and bake until scones are golden - 12 to 15 min.
5. Let scones cool on a baking rack. Serve warm or at room temperature with butter and jam. (Scones can be stored in an airtight container up to 24 hours, or in the freezer up to 12 weeks. )
Substitute dried blueberries for currants. Or dried cranberries, raisins, maybe apples?
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (43g)|
|Recipe Makes: 20 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 43 (45%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 4.7g||6 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.9g||14 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.2g|
|Cholesterol 14.7mg||5 %|
|Sodium 18mg||1 %|
|Potassium 61.4mg||2 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 11.4g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||3 %|
|Sugars, other 10.7g|
|Protein 2g||3 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 96
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!