1. Set 3 cups of water to begin boiling.
2. In a dutch oven or large pot, heat Oil.
3. Add Onions, Garlic, Olives and Capers and stir fry. Cook 2 minutes.
4. Add the Pigeon Peas, Sazon Goya and Tomato Paste. Stir well and bring to a boil. Salt to taste.
5. Add 3 cups of boiling water and bring to a boil once again.
6. Add washed rice and stir. Flatten the rice and let cook UNCOVERED until the water evaporates and the top of the rice is dry with no water bubbles forming.
7. With a large spoon, carefully bring the rice on the bottom to the top in 3-4 motions. Be careful not to disturb too much to prevent the rice from softening too much.
8. Cover and cook on Low or 1/4 flame for 20-30 minutes. DO NOT UNCOVER or the rice will not cook well. Test the rice for softness after 20-30 minutes to prevent overcooking.
9. When rice is soft and fluffy your side dish is complete.
DO NOT UNCOVER the rice while cooking or it will come out hard. Too much uncovering will make it not cook right. Trust the recipe and your rice will come out perfect. Enjoy!
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (287g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 77 (13%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 8.6g||11 %|
|Saturated Fat 1.3g||6 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 4.3g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 711.9mg||25 %|
|Potassium 467.9mg||12 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 117.7g||35 %|
|Dietary Fiber 6.9g||28 %|
|Sugars, other 110.8g|
|Protein 14g||20 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 613
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.