1. In a soup pot crisp up 4 to 5 pieces of GOOD bacon in a pan
2. add in the olive oil, onions, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and saute for 10 minutes on medium low.
3. To the onions, add in the carrots, celery, and fresh thyme and saute for 5 - 7 minutes over medium heat. Stirring frequently.
4. When the veggies are tender, add in the two drained cans of clams and 3 tablespoons clam juice (do not add in all the clam juice from both cans...just 3 tablespoons). Stir clams around with the veggies. Then add in another 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons garlic granules, 2 cups of water, Bring to a simmer for 3 minutes .
5. While the veggies and clams are gently simmering, drain the cashews and add them to a blender with 3 cups filtered water. Blend on high for 30 seconds.
6. Immediately add the blended cashews to the pot with the veggies and clams. Stir and allow everything to come to a GENTLE simmer - please do not boil this mixture...it will not taste great if it burns on the bottom. Simmer very gently for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the pot, making sure the veggies and cashew cream does not stick. I use a large wood spoon, a silicone spatula will also work great.
7. The mixture will greatly thicken as it heats up. After the 5 (gentle) minute simmer, turn the mixture down to very low so the simmering stops, cover, and allow it to continue to warm for 30 minutes, stirring once in a while
8. After 30 minutes you can serve, or turn the heat off and let the mixture sit.
9. When ready to serve, gently heat through, taking care to not burn the mixture.
-Upon serving, add in some pepper to taste. Other options include chopped crisp bacon, green onions, a lemon wedge, or chopped parsley. Serves 4
I add potatoes to this recipe. I found that the best way to ensure not burning the cashew cream was to boil the quartered potatoes in a separate pot until tender, once that's done, add them go the chowder during its 30 minute simmer
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (591g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 0 (NaN%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 0mg||0 %|
|Potassium 0mg||0 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 0g||0 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 0g|
|Protein 0g||0 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
BigOven Pro required
Eat healthier with nutrition info.
Calories, carbs, protein, sodium, fiber and more - easily calculate from any recipe.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!