This is a modified version of a recipe I found on King Arthur's web site. I am very picky about rye bread, and this bread is better than any you will find in any store. The recipe has been converted to use long fermentation in order to eliminate phytic acid and develop flavor. I use freshly ground flours, but packaged flours will suffice.
1. Mix dry ingredients and then add wet ingredients.
2. Mix all ingredients until cohesive. If using an electric mixer use the paddle on speed 1.
3. Allow the dough to rest for 30 minutes, then knead until it is elastic though still sticky, about 5 to 10 minutes on speed 2 with the dough hook. If kneading by hand, wetting your hands with water will help to prevent sticking.
4. Allow the dough to rise in a covered bowl for at least 12 hours if left on the counter or 18-24 hours if fermented in the refrigerator (refrigerator fermentation requires a 2 hour warming period before going to the next step).
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly oiled surface and form it into an oval or form into loaves and put into loaf pans.
6. Preheat oven to 425 degrees with a pan below the baking shelf that will be used later for water to produce steam.
7. Let rise until almost doubled, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Brush with beaten egg. Sprinkle with the seeds of your choice, and slash diagonally in several places.
8. When put loaf into the oven and pour water into the hot pan that has preheated. Spray mist every 5 minutes for 15 minutes.
9. Bake the bread for 18 to 22 minutes until 190 -200 degrees.
10. Cool on baking racks before slicing.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Recipe (69g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 6 (4%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0.7g||1 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.1g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.3g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 2.8mg||0 %|
|Potassium 137.8mg||4 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 29.9g||9 %|
|Dietary Fiber 5.7g||23 %|
|Sugars, other 24.3g|
|Protein 4.6g||7 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 141
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!