1. Prep potatoes. Blanch in boiling water for ~5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Chop leeks, onion, celery. Combine in single bowl.
3. Cook bacon in stock pot over medium high heat until lightly browned. Remove from pan and discard rendered bacon fat.
4. Add butter to pot. When melted, add vegetables. Cook ~10 minutes
5. While cooking: Chop Thyme and measure out spices. Add about halfway through step 4
6. Add flour and cook 2 minutes stirring constantly to keep from scorching. Turn down heat to medium.
7. Add 2 cups clam broth, reserved bacon and potatoes. Scrape up browned flour/vegetables.
At this point, the chowder base is done. If you wish you can place half of the base in containers and chill for later use. If reserving some of the base for later, halve the remaining liquid amounts and clams.
8. Add clam broth (2 or 4 cups depending on whether you''ve reserved some base for later)
9. Add heavy cream and half and half. Bring to simmer.
10. Add clams. Cook roughly 2-3 minutes.
Reheating/Preparing premade base.
Place in double boiler. If prepping base add:
1. 2 cups clam broth
2. 2 cups heavycream
3. 1 cup half and half.
Bring to temp slowly.
Add clams (if using chowder base)
You may add Calamari, Scallops, Fish etc. to make a thicker and more rustic chowder. Like clams, add only to the portion your are heading to serve.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (224g)|
|Recipe Makes: 16 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 260 (68%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 28.9g||39 %|
|Saturated Fat 15.8g||79 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 9.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.8g|
|Cholesterol 102.1mg||31 %|
|Sodium 218mg||8 %|
|Potassium 480.5mg||13 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 18g||5 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||6 %|
|Sugars, other 16.6g|
|Protein 12.9g||18 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 380
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.