A new take on Caprese salad, our rustic freeform tart made from frozen puff pastry combines thick slices of heirloom tomatoes, fragrant basil, fresh mozzarella cheese, and sweet balsamic reduction to create an elegant and effortless savory summer stunner. This agreeable recipe can be enjoyed hot out of the oven or served just as deliciously at room temperature. Brunch, lunch, or dinner, this is one you'll want to put in heavy rotation this summer!
1. Preheat oven to 400°F and place rack in the center of the oven.
2. Sprinkle tomato slices with salt, and allow to sit for about 15 minutes to allow tomatoes to release some of their liquid. Drain, pat dry, and reserve on paper towels while prepping remaining herbs, cheese, and puff pastry.
3. On a lightly floured work surface, quickly roll the partially thawed puff pastry with a rolling pin into a 12-14” round, roughly ?-inch thick.
4. Sprinkle a base layer of grated mozzarella over the dough, leaving an inch or so border. Arrange tomato slices with alternating slices of fresh mozzarella over the base. Tuck garlic and fresh basil into the nooks and crannies.
5. Gather the edges of the dough up and over the filling to create a rustic, overlapping 1 ½-inch crust. Or, for a more impactful presentation, using a sharp knife, make slits in the border of the dough in 2-inch intervals to form flaps around the perimeter of the galette. Fold flaps inward, over the filling, slightly overlapping the previous flap as you go. Sprinkle the galette with flaky sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
6. Bake for 45 minutes, or until cooked through and the crust is flaky and golden brown. For best results, rotate the galette about halfway through. Before serving, cool briefly and drizzle with balsamic glaze.
Before baking, place galette in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes for best results.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (295g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 106 (48%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 11.7g||16 %|
|Saturated Fat 5.5g||27 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1g|
|Cholesterol 27.2mg||8 %|
|Sodium 304.5mg||10 %|
|Potassium 626.6mg||16 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 16.8g||5 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.1g||13 %|
|Sugars, other 13.7g|
|Protein 13.7g||20 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 221
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!