1. Following the photos, cut a pocket in the thickest part of each chicken breast. Tightly roll 2 tablespoons of the cheese in 2 pieces of the ham. Repeat with the remaining chees and ham. Stuff each chicken breast with 1 roll. Transfer the chicken to a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, at least 20 minutes or up to 3 hours.
2. Meanwhile, adjust the oven racks to the lowest and middle positions and heat the oven to 400 degrees. Pulse the bread and crackers together in a food processor to coarse crumbs, about 10 pulses. Transfer the crumbs to a bowl and toss with the melted butter. Spread the crumbs on a rimmed baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and dry, 7 to 9 minutes. Let the crumbs cool to room temperature.
3. Turn the oven to 450 degrees and set a wire rack inside a second rimmed baking sheet. Place the flour in a shallow dish. In a second shallow dish, whisk the egg whites and mustard together until combined. Spread the cooled crumb mixture in a third shallow dish.
4. Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels and season with the salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken in the flour and shake off the excess. Coat the chicken with the egg mixture, allowing the excess to drip off. Coat all sides of the chicken with the crumb mixture, pressing to help the crumbs adhere. Lay the breaded chicken on the prepared wire rack. Lightly coat each breast with vegetable oil spray.
5. Bake the chicken on the lowest rack for 10 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 400 degrees and transfer the baking sheet to the middle rack. Continue to bake until the chicken breasts register 160 to 165 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 20 minutes longer. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (324g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 214 (40%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 23.7g||32 %|
|Saturated Fat 9g||45 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 6.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3g|
|Cholesterol 159.3mg||49 %|
|Sodium 1372.9mg||47 %|
|Potassium 309.9mg||8 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 28.4g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.8g||15 %|
|Sugars, other 24.6g|
|Protein 54.6g||78 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 535
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.