1) Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Put flours, sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt in food processor. Pulse 4-5 times to combine and aerate.
3) Add butter and pulse until until texture resembles coarse crumbs (no large pieces of butter should remain).
4) Pour food processor ingredients into a bowl, add buttermilk and stir with a fork just until dough begins to come together.
5) Turn out onto flour-coated work surface; knead until dough just becomes cohesive and bumpy, 12 to 14 turns. (Do not knead until dough is smooth, or bread will be tough.)
6) Pat dough into a round about 4 inches in diameter and 1 inches high; place on greased or parchment-lined baking sheet or in cast-iron pot, if using. Place the loaf on a cookie sheet and cut a cross shape into the top.
7) Bake until golden brown and a skewer inserted into center of loaf comes out clean or internal temperature reaches 180 degrees, 20 to 25 minutes.
8) Remove from oven and brush with melted butter; cool to room temperature at least 10 minutes before attempting to cut.
Add sultanas (golden raisins) for a sweeter taste. Substitute the AP Flour with Whole Wheat Flour for a Brown Bread recipe.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (25g)|
|Recipe Makes: 16 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 40 (48%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 4.5g||6 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.8g||14 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.2g|
|Cholesterol 11.8mg||4 %|
|Sodium 48.3mg||2 %|
|Potassium 42mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 9.3g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.3g||1 %|
|Sugars, other 9g|
|Protein 1.4g||2 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 83
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!