The key to making great muffins is not overmixing the batter. Once the liquid ingredients are added to the dry, mix the batter by hand just until the flour is moistened, for no more than about ten seconds. Too much mixing can cause the muffins to be dry, tough or misshapen.
And if you want to spruce your muffins up a little bit, here's a recipe for a cinnamon streusel topping you can mix up in just a few seconds.
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Unwrap the butter and heat it in the microwave, in a microwave-safe bowl, for about a minute, until it's thoroughly melted. Set it aside at room temperature
to cool, but don't let it solidify again.
4. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and then add the sugar, milk and vanilla to the eggs.
5. Thoroughly grease and flour a muffin pan (or use paper muffin liners).
6. Pour a tiny bit of the melted butter into the egg-vanilla-milk mixture and stir it in. Repeat 3-4 more times, adding a slightly larger amount of the
liquid butter each time until it is all incorporated.
IMPORTANT: Don't add hot melted butter to the egg mixture as the heat from the butter would cook the egg, and that's not what you want to do!
7. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ones and mix no more than ten seconds. The batter should be visibly lumpy, and you may see pockets of dry flour.
That's OK! It's extremely important not to overmix the batter, or the resulting muffins will be too hard.
8. Gently pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan and bake immediately.
TIP: The dry and wet ingredients, respectively, can be mixed in advance, but as soon as the wet and dry ingredients have been combined with each other,
the liquid will activate the baking powder and the batter must be baked right away.
9. Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Recipe (580g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Serving|
|Calories from Fat: 95 (9%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 10.5g||14 %|
|Saturated Fat 3.8g||19 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.8g|
|Cholesterol 224.4mg||69 %|
|Sodium 3514.8mg||121 %|
|Potassium 796.8mg||21 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 199.6g||59 %|
|Dietary Fiber 6.8g||27 %|
|Sugars, other 192.8g|
|Protein 40.1g||57 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1085
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.