1. Salt both sides of eggplant slices and place in a large colander in the sink. Let liquid drain for 45min to 1hr.
2. When eggplant has finished draining, lightly brush of excess salt.
3. In two shallow plates, add breadcrumbs to one and whisk eggs and milk in the other. Dip both sides of eggplant slices into milk/egg mixture, then cover with breadcrumbs, shaking off excess. Place on plate or large baking sheet.
4. Preheat oven to 375degF.
5. Heat skillet over medium high heat and add 1 tbsp. vegetable oil. Once skillet is hot, add two eggplant slices at a time and cook until golden brown on both sides. Remove and drain on paper towels. Repeat with 1 tbsp. vegetable oil per two slices.
6. In large casserole dish, add 1 cup marinara sauce to bottom of dish. Add layer of eggplant slices, then cover with 1/4 cup marinara (don't smother layers!). Sprinkle generous amount of mozzarella and parmesan on top. Repeat layers until you run out of eggplant. Top with more cheese.
7. Bake for 20-25min or until cheese is bubbly and brown on top. Can also broil for 5min to brown the cheese - be careful and watch closely.
8. Top with chopped basil and serve hot.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (551g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 340 (51%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 37.7g||50 %|
|Saturated Fat 15g||75 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 14g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 6.5g|
|Cholesterol 77.3mg||24 %|
|Sodium 3531.5mg||122 %|
|Potassium 1202.5mg||32 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 55.7g||16 %|
|Dietary Fiber 10.7g||43 %|
|Sugars, other 45g|
|Protein 26.5g||38 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 662
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.