1. Slice eggplants into 1/2-inch thick rounds
2. If you have extra time and would like to remove some of the bitterness of the eggplant, sprinkle each round with a pinch of salt. Then place the rounds in a colander in the sink to drain, or place them on a few paper towels for about 30 minutes. Little beads of sweat will start to form on the outside of the eggplant, which you can then rinse off thoroughly afterwards. Rinse the salt off with water, pat eggplant dry and place on paper towels.
3. Preheat oven to 425°F. Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper, and set aside.
4. In a shallow bowl, whisk together Panko breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning and 1 teaspoon salt until combined.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs until smooth. Dip an eggplant round on both sides in the whisked egg mixture, then immediately dip it in the breadcrumb mixture until the eggplant is completely coated, then set on a parchment-covered baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining eggplant rounds until they are all evenly spaced on the baking sheets.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until the breadcrumbs are toasted and slightly golden. Remove from the oven and set aside.
7. Spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce evenly over the bottom of an 11 x 8-inch baking dish.
8. Place half of the eggplant in a (mostly) even layer along the bottom of the baking dish.
9. Spread an additional 1 cup of tomato sauce evenly over the eggplant, then sprinkle 1 cup Mozzarella cheese evenly over the sauce, followed by 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese.
10. Repeat with another layer of the remaining eggplant, then tomato sauce, then Mozzarella, then Parmesan cheese.
11. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and starts to turn slightly golden around the edges, and the sauce is bubbly.
12. Remove. Serve immediately.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (2681g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 908 (30%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 100.9g||135 %|
|Saturated Fat 55.4g||277 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 26.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 11.4g|
|Cholesterol 318.1mg||98 %|
|Sodium 12963.4mg||447 %|
|Potassium 6031.5mg||159 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 348.4g||102 %|
|Dietary Fiber 58.7g||235 %|
|Sugars, other 289.6g|
|Protein 191.1g||273 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 3013
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!