1. If eggplant are not garden fresh, slice into rounds 1/3" thick and sprinkle liberally with salt. Let stand about 30 minutes to remove the bittern juices. Rinse to remove excess salt and blot dry.
2. Brush both sides of the eggplant with EVOO. On the grill (or under the broiler if you prefer), cook the eggplant until lightly browned on each side. If the eggplant looks a little dry this is no a problem, the casserole will remedy any dryness.
3. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Lightly oil a gratin dish.
4. Add half the basil to the warmed tomato sauce. Add 1/3 to the bottom of the gratin dish. Layer the half the eggplant into the dish in an overlapping layer. Add mozzarella, then basil and parmesan cheese. Layer on the remaining eggplant, then the remaining 2/3 of the tomato sauce.
5. Bake until hot and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Serve with a side salad tossed with a light vinaigrette.
To make a quick fresh tomato sauce:
In a saucepan, saute a finely diced onion and 3-5 cloves minced garlic in EVOO over low heat. When softened, add 1 lb tomatoes and cook until saucy. Puree with an immersion blender for a smooth consistency, or leave chunky.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (209g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 112 (60%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 12.5g||17 %|
|Saturated Fat 4.4g||22 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 6.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1g|
|Cholesterol 20.9mg||6 %|
|Sodium 245.3mg||8 %|
|Potassium 422mg||11 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 10.6g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 5.8g||23 %|
|Sugars, other 4.8g|
|Protein 9.8g||14 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 186
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!