Preheat oven to 375.
1) Melt butter in medium sauce pan over medium-low heat.
2) Add onion, garlic, anchovies, pepper flakes and oregano - salt and pepper to taste. Cook until onion is softened.
3) Stir in crushed tomato and diced tomato with juices and sugar. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer.
4) Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened.
5) Remove from heat and stir in basil and tablespoon of olive oil
6) Set aside.
1) Line large baking sheet with paper towels.
2) Cut stem end off eggplant then slice off 1/4 inch lengthwise. Discard end and side slice.
3) Starting with cut side, slice of 1/4 inch slices. Repeat with each eggplant to get about 25 slices.
4) Whisk 4 eggs in shallow dish. Add flour to a separate shallow dish.
5) Heat oil in large skillet to very hot.
6) Dredge eggplant slices in flour first shaking off excess, then dip in egg allowing excess to drip off. Place each slice in hot oil.
7) Working in batches, fry eggplant slices until lightly browned on both sides - about 2 minutes or so on each side. Transfer to baking sheet as each is done.
In 13x9 inch baking dish layer as follows:
- thin layer of sauce
- pecorino cheese
- repeat ending with sauce
- top with fontina cheese
Bake until bubbling around the edges - about 30 minutes.
Switch to broil - broil until fontina cheese on top begins to brown - 1 to 3 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool for about 20 minutes.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (945g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 541 (52%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 60.1g||80 %|
|Saturated Fat 32g||160 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 21.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.2g|
|Cholesterol 175.8mg||54 %|
|Sodium 1553.3mg||54 %|
|Potassium 2291.4mg||60 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 77.9g||23 %|
|Dietary Fiber 11.2g||45 %|
|Sugars, other 66.7g|
|Protein 52.1g||74 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1032
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.