1. Pick through lentils to get out rocks, chaff, or anything not lentils
2. Rinse lentils 4 or 5 times until water is clear
3. Add 10 cups water to 6-quart (or larger) pan
4. Add all veggies (only 1 onion) to large pot, cover with lid
5. Set stove to low
6. After 10-15 minutes, skim off foam, continue until no more foam
7. Stir every 5 minutes
8. Cook for 1-1.5 hours until lentils are blown up, light tan instead of orange, and veggies are all soft
9. Run through food mill into another pot
10. Add spices and stir
11. Cook for another 10 or 15 minutes
1. Dice 2 onions into 1/2" square
2. Fill 1 quart sauce pan 1/3 with olive oil
3. Heat on high until hot
4. Add onions and turn down heat one notch
5. Stir regularly for 30-40 minutes
6. Remove once they're golden brown, not black. Really easy to burn them.
7. Scoop out onto paper towels.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (213g)|
|Recipe Makes: 20 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 5 (3%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0.6g||1 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.1g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.3g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 19.2mg||1 %|
|Potassium 544.6mg||14 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 30.7g||9 %|
|Dietary Fiber 14.6g||58 %|
|Sugars, other 16.1g|
|Protein 12.1g||17 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 175
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!