Our affection for lentils is twofold: The health-minded side of us adores their high protein and folate levels, while our palate craves the legumes’ earthy flavor. Our Test Kitchen’s falafel-style lentil burgers are both nutritious and delicious: Black beluga lentil patties are beefed up with sweet potato, red onion, panko breadcrumbs and spices, then stuffed into mini pitas and slathered with tangy feta-yogurt-mint sauce. Put two patties into a large pita for a more substantial sandwich. Either way, prepare to fall in love.
Read more: http://www.tastingtable.com/entry_detail/chefs_recipes/12362/chefs_recipes/Make_your_next_patty_with_lentils_and_sweet_potato.htm#ixzz2Qe7JLzhh
1. Make the burgers: In a medium saucepan, add the lentils, sweet potato and water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and gently simmer until the lentils and potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes. Drain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve and transfer the lentil mixture to a food processor.
2. To the lentil mixture, add the onion, egg, panko breadcrumbs, sesame seeds, cumin, marjoram, oregano, sumac (if using), salt and pepper. Pulse until coarsely chopped, about five 1-second pulses. Shape the mixture into four 4- to 4½-inch patties, each about ½ inch thick.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Lightly coat the skillet with nonstick pan spray and add two of the lentil burgers. Cook until the burgers are browned, 3 to 4 minutes, then flip and cook on the other side, about 3 minutes more. Transfer to a large plate and repeat with the remaining patties.
4. Make the sauce: To a medium bowl, add the feta cheese, then use a fork to crumble it. Stir in the yogurt and mint.
5. Slice open each pita to create 2 round slices. Place a lentil burger on 4 bottom rounds and top each with some of the feta sauce and a few tomato slices. Top with the remaining pita rounds. Serve immediately. Calories per Serving: 340; Sodium: 1030mg; Total Carbohydrate: 54g; Fiber: 8g; Fat: 6g
Read more: http://www.tastingtable.com/entry_detail/chefs_recipes/12362/chefs_recipes/Make_your_next_patty_with_lentils_and_sweet_potato.htm#ixzz2Qe8OABKd
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (489g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 93 (28%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 10.3g||14 %|
|Saturated Fat 5.1g||25 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.2g|
|Cholesterol 72.9mg||22 %|
|Sodium 489.9mg||17 %|
|Potassium 592.2mg||16 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 45.1g||13 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.5g||14 %|
|Sugars, other 41.6g|
|Protein 14.6g||21 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 329
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!