1. Wash and drain the rice in a sieve. Pour water or broth into a small saucepan and heat it over a low flame.
2. Meanwhile, heat a larger saucepan and add the oil. When it is hot, add the raisins and sauté them until they begin to darken and caramelize. Transfer them onto a plate to cool. Repeat this with the nuts and cook them until golden and toasted. Transfer them onto the plate with the raisins and set them aside.
3. Add the rice to the same pot that the nuts just vacated and cook it over medium heat until dry and coated with the fat remaining in the pot. Add the hot broth or water all at once. When the rice boils, reduce the heat to low, add salt, cardamom, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cover and simmer the rice 15 minutes. (Alternately, bring the pullao to a boil, cover and place pot in a 350°F oven for 20 minutes.)
4. Turn off the heat and allow the rice to sit on the burner or remove from oven and place on top of the stove to steam for 10 minutes more, undisturbed. (The rice can be held uncovered at this point for at least 30 minutes before serving.)
5. To finish, fold in the butter, toasted raisins and nuts. Fluff rice with a fork and serve.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (210g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 554 (54%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 61.6g||82 %|
|Saturated Fat 31.4g||157 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 20.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 5.9g|
|Cholesterol 122.1mg||38 %|
|Sodium 338.6mg||12 %|
|Potassium 418.1mg||11 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 108.4g||32 %|
|Dietary Fiber 5.7g||23 %|
|Sugars, other 102.8g|
|Protein 12.2g||17 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1022
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!