Preserve your summer tomato harvest throughout the year by stewing and freezing your tomatoes. Whether you picked them from your garden or the market, freezing stewed tomatoes gives you a healthier option to the salt-laden cans of stewed tomatoes. Whenever you want to make a quick tomato sauce or soup, you will have a fresh supply of pre-cooked tomatoes in your freezer. Unlike canned products, you get to choose the spices and seasonings added to your tomatoes, or leave them au natural for a ready ingredient.
Read more: How to Freeze Stewed Tomatoes | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6127218_freeze-stewed-tomatoes.html#ixzz25QOc6CTH
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat.
2. Add the whole tomatoes to the boiling water for one minute.
3. Immediately pull the tomatoes from the boiling water with a slotted spoon and drop into cold water to loosen their skins.
4. Pull the skins off the tomatoes, cut the stem and core out and quarter the tomatoes.
5. Pour the water out of the pot and return the tomatoes to the empty pot.
6. Cover and stew the tomatoes for 10 to 20 minutes on medium heat or until cooked through and tender. Add spices and seasonings to the tomatoes if desired.
7. Remove the pot from the heat and set the bottom of it into the bowl of cold water to cool the stewed tomatoes to room temperature.
8. Ladle the stewed tomatoes into one-pint freezer containers, filling each to one inch below the lid.
9. Seal the containers, label with the date packed and freeze for up to one year.
Read more: How to Freeze Stewed Tomatoes | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6127218_freeze-stewed-tomatoes.html#ixzz25QPBj9D5
I sealed mine in bags using a food saver/seal a meal type machine. I measured the portion sizes in 1 c and 2 cup portions to mimic the can sizes for any recipes I might make.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (166g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 2 (9%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0.2g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.1g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 6.2mg||0 %|
|Potassium 716.7mg||19 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 4.8g||1 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||6 %|
|Sugars, other 3.3g|
|Protein 1.1g||2 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 22
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!