1. FOR THE CRUST: Adjust 1 oven rack to Lowest position and second rack 5 to 6 inches from broiler element. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk flour sugar and salt together in a bowl. Add melted butter and stir with a wooden spoon until dough forms. Using your hands, press two thirds of dough into bottom of 9 inch tart pan with removable bottom. Press remaining dough into fluted sides of pan. Press and smooth dough with your hands to an even thickness. Place pan on wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet and bake on lowest rack, until crust is deep golden brown and firm to touch, 30 to 35 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Set aside until ready to fill.
2. FOR THE FILLING: Cut five apples lengthwise into quarters and cut each quarter lengthwise into four slices. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a 12 inch skillet over medium heat. Add apple slices and water and some cinnamon and toss to combine. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until apples begin to turn translucent and are slightly pliable, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer apples to a large plate, spread in a single layer, and set aside to cool. Do not clean skillet.
3. While apples cook, microwave apricot preserves until fluid, about 30 seconds. Strain preserves through fine mesh strainer, reserving solids. Set aside 3 tablespoons strain preserves for brushing tart.
4. Cut remaining five apples into 1/2 inch thick wedges. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in now empty skillet over medium heat. Add remaining apricot preserves, reserved apricot solids, Apple wedges, cinnamon and salt. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are soft, about 10minutes.
5. Mash apples to purée with potato masher. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally until purée is reduced to 2 cups, about five minutes.
6. Transfer Apple purée to baked tart shell and smooth surface. Select five thinnest slices of sautéed Apple and set aside. Starting at outer edge of tart, arrange remaining slices, tightly overlapping, in concentric circles. Bend reserved slices to fit in center. Bake tart, still on wire rack in sheet, on lowest rack, for 30 minutes. Remove tart from oven and heat broiler.
7. While broiler heats, warm reserved preserves and microwave until fluid, about 20 seconds. Brush evenly over surface of apples, avoiding tart crust. Broil tart, checking every 30 seconds and turning as necessary, until apples are attractively caramelized, 1-3 minutes. Let tart cool for at least one and a half hours. Remove outer metal ring of tart pan, slide thin metal spatula between tart and pan bottom, and carefully slide tart onto serving platter. Cut into wedges and serve.
TO MAKE AHEAD: The baked crust, apple slices, and Apple purée can be made up to 24 hours in advance. Apple slices and Apple purée should be refrigerated separately in airtight containers. Assemble tart with refrigerated apple slices and purée and bake as directed, adding five minutes to baking time.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (725g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Serving|
|Calories from Fat: 1460 (63%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 162.2g||216 %|
|Saturated Fat 101.3g||506 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 41.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 6.8g|
|Cholesterol 424.9mg||131 %|
|Sodium 112.2mg||4 %|
|Potassium 385.2mg||10 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 200.4g||59 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4.9g||20 %|
|Sugars, other 195.5g|
|Protein 20.6g||29 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 2302
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!