Try this French Onion Soup recipe, or contribute your own.Suggest a better description
1. Peel onions, cut off and discard root ends. Using a large french chef's knife, slice onions thinly. In a 4 quart saucepan, over medium high heat, melt butter. Add onions and black butter to butter.
2. Saute onion mixture until onions are a light golden brown. Sprinkle onions with flour and stir until all traces of onion disappear. Cook one minute longer, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat.
3. Gradually add beef broth to onion mixture, stirring constantly. Stir in water and bay leaf. Return to medium high and bring mixture to boiling, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for 30-40 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
4. Taste soup and add salt and pepper, if desired. Ladle soup into individual soup bowls placed on a jelly roll pan or onto a broiler-proof casserole. Toast the French bread slices in a toaster or under the broiler until they are light golden brown.
5. Arrange toast slices on top of onion soup. (Do not push them into soup) Sprinkle the toast liberally with Parm and Gruyere. Place bowls 6 inches from heat source in preheated broiler. Or preheat oven to 425F and place bowls or casserole in oven.
6. Broil or bake the soup until the cheese melts and turns golden brown. Remove from oven, serve immediately.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (259g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 144 (42%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 16g||21 %|
|Saturated Fat 9.6g||48 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.9g|
|Cholesterol 44.6mg||14 %|
|Sodium 786.3mg||27 %|
|Potassium 271.5mg||7 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 32.6g||10 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12 %|
|Sugars, other 29.6g|
|Protein 18.2g||26 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 344
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe.