1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Add in butter, and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Distribute the water over the mixture and pulse until the water is well-distributed and the mixture holds together like dry clay. Dump mixture onto a floured board, knead a time or two, form into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
2. Pound dough with a rolling pin a few times to soften the butter. On a well-floured board, roll into an 11 inch circle. Place the dough in a 9 inch pie plate. Roll up the edges and crimp with your fingers or a fork. Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork a few times. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Place a large circle of parchment paper in the center of the chilled crust, and fill with a pound of dried beans (you can reuse them for this purpose again and again). Bake for 15 minutes with the beans in. Remove from the oven, take out the beans and parchment paper, and bake again for about 10 minutes, or until the center starts to turn golden brown.
1. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, bring the milk almost to a boil. Meanwhile, whisk sugar and egg yolks in a large glass bowl until pale yellow, smooth, and falling in ribbons. Whisk in corn starch until smooth.
2. Whisk in hot milk, a half a cup at a time until mixture is warm to the touch. Pour entire mixture back into the saucepan and whisk constantly until pudding starts to get very thick and bubbly.
3. Pull off the heat and add in coconut, vanilla, coconut extract, if using, and butter. Pour into prepared pie shell. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
1. Beat all ingredients together until stiff peaks form. Do not over beat.
2. Place whipped cream in a large pastry bag fitted with a star tip (Wilton 1M), and decorate.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (172g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 265 (62%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 29.4g||39 %|
|Saturated Fat 18.5g||92 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.4g|
|Cholesterol 200.5mg||62 %|
|Sodium 167mg||6 %|
|Potassium 179.3mg||5 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 35.8g||11 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.4g||2 %|
|Sugars, other 35.4g|
|Protein 6.7g||10 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 430
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.