1. Fill a large bowl with ice and water. Bring a pot of water to a boil.
2. Rinse the tomatoes under cold water and cut an X into the bottom of each one with a paring knife. Carefully lower about 1/4th of the tomatoes into the pot of boiling water and leave them for 20 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, remove them to the ice water bowl. Repeat with all of the tomatoes.
3. Remove the skin from the tomatoes. Cut them into quarters, remove the cores and seeds. Coarsely chop the tomatoes and transfer them to a bowl.
4. Heat the oil and garlic in a stock pot over medium low heat until the garlic begins to sizzle and turns very light brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Carefully pour in the tomatoes. Raise the heat to medium high and bring the tomatoes to a boil. Stir in the salt, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened and the tomatoes have broken down, 1 to 2 hours depending on the juiciness of the tomatoes.
5. Remove from the heat and discard the garlic.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (3657g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 187 (24%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 20.8g||28 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.9g||14 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 11g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 4.5g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 2508.7mg||87 %|
|Potassium 8636.8mg||227 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 145.2g||43 %|
|Dietary Fiber 43.7g||175 %|
|Sugars, other 101.5g|
|Protein 32.5g||46 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 786
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!