1. Place rice basket into Thermomix bowl, and weigh in:
- 400g of raw rice (or less if you want a smaller batch).
2. Remove basket, and pour into bowl:
- 400g coconut milk
- 500g water (for white or basmati rice) / 700g water (for brown rice)
3. Rinse rice under tap, then place basket back in bowl. Fasten lid onto bowl, place Varoma on top, and start cooking - Varoma temperature, 20 mins (white) or 35 mins (brown), speed 4.
4. While rice begins cooking, chop up meat and/or veges, placing it into the Varoma as you go.
(I do it this way, as it's quicker than preparing it all then starting the cooking. I put each ingredient in as it's prepared, replacing Varoma lid each time - meat, then hard veges, then quicker cooking veges - that way the hard and soft veges and the meat are all finished cooking at the same time.)
5. Place the cubed meat in the bottom of the Varoma in a single layer, then top with the preferred veges:
- 100g - 200g of cubed chicken or fish and/or prawns (you can marinate it for a little while first in some soy sauce, curry powder, garlic, ginger, and honey, or whatever marinade you prefer)
(or some chopped bacon, preferably organic)
- 1 sliced onion/shallots/leeks
- carrots, sliced or julienned
- celery, sliced
- kohlrabi, thin strips or julienned
- broccoli/cauliflower florets
- cabbage, shredded
- spinach/silverbeet, sliced
- frozen peas & corn
- cashews or slivered almonds (opt.)
6. Line the top Varoma tray with a piece of wet baking paper, and pour in:
- 4 to 5 eggs, whisked
Replace lid, and leave to steam.
7. Check meat, veges, egg and rice after 20 mins to make sure they're all cooked. (With basmati rice, it's generally cooked after about 17 minutes, but I just leave it for the full 20, and everything's usually done by then. With brown rice, just add the veges when there's only 15 minutes left to go, and add the eggs when there's 5 minutes left, and they should be done at the same time as the rice that way.)
8. Remove Varoma and place lid underneath. Remove rice basket using spatula, and tip rice into Varoma bowl. Add the meat and veges. Slice the egg up in tray (see photo) and tip into Varoma bowl with rice. Season with some tamari sauce / soy sauce / sweet chilli sauce, mix together gently, and serve!
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (370g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 192 (79%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 21.4g||29 %|
|Saturated Fat 18.9g||95 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.3g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 9679mg||334 %|
|Potassium 632mg||17 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 8g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.3g||1 %|
|Sugars, other 7.6g|
|Protein 8.5g||12 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 244
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!