1. Adjust top oven rack - with a skillet (ovenproof!) on it, you want the top of the skillet to be 4-6 inches from the broiler. Turn on broiler.
2. Put skillet (preferably 12" nonstick) on stove and add about a tablespoon of oil. Add any raw vegetables or meat you want in your frittata and saute them until done, adding any herbs, spices, and salt you desire.
3. Add any cooked ingredients and heat them through.
4. Whisk eggs (12 eggs for a thick frittata in a 12" skillet, fewer eggs for a thinner frittata or in a smaller skillet) with salt, pepper, and 3 Tablespoons of water, milk, half and half, or cream. (Half and half is said to produce the best results.) If using cheese, add about half to the eggs (or you can save all of it for the top). Add egg mixture to skillet.
5. On medium heat, cook eggs for about 2 minutes, scraping the sides and bottom with heat-resistant spatula. When eggs are mostly cooked but still very wet, stop stirring. You want to see cooked egg scattered throughout, but loose egg in between.
6. Continue cooking on stove for another minute so underside sets.
7. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top. Put skillet under broiler. Watch carefully while top browns. This will take 2-4 minutes
8. Remove skillet from oven and let sit for about 5 minutes to finish cooking in center.
9. Cut in wedges and serve.
Add fresh basil or cilantro when going into the broiler. Add chipotle tabasco when serving with a blob of sour cream or yogurt.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (116g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 186 (68%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 20.7g||28 %|
|Saturated Fat 10g||50 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 6.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.5g|
|Cholesterol 227.7mg||70 %|
|Sodium 404.9mg||14 %|
|Potassium 161.7mg||4 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 1.4g||0 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 1.4g|
|Protein 19.6g||28 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 273
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.