1. Preheat the oven to 275 to 300 degrees.
2. Place alarge cast-iron skillet or other heavy ovenproof skillet or a Dutch oven overmedium-high heat and when it is hot, add 2 tablespoons of the oil. Sprinkle the lamb shanks with 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1 teaspoon of the pepper and addthem to the pan. Cook until they are browned on both sides, about 4 to 5 minuteson each side. Set the shanks aside and discard the oil.
3. Wipe the skillet clean and reheat it. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add the anchovy fillet, ginger and garlic, stirring well after each addition, and cook until the garlic is golden, about 3 minutes. Add the fennel, onion, fennel seeds, pepperflakes, cumin, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, the wine andthe vinegar, stirring well after each addition. Cook until the sauce has reduced somewhat, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes and chick peas and return the shanks to the pan. Add the rosemary and water, bring to a simmer, and transfer the skillet to the oven.
5. Bake uncovered, until the meat isfalling off the bone, about 3 hours. Presentation:Place a shank on each of4 plates and pour sauce over. Or, serve family style, with all meat and sauceplaced on a large serving platter.
Recipe By: Chef Todd English (Epicurious.com)
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (975g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4|
|Calories from Fat: 553 (74%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 61.4g||82 %|
|Saturated Fat 27.4g||137 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 25.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 5.1g|
|Cholesterol 81mg||25 %|
|Sodium 256.7mg||9 %|
|Potassium 855mg||23 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 28.4g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 6.1g||25 %|
|Sugars, other 22.2g|
|Protein 12.8g||18 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 745
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.