1. You'll need a large cooking pot and 1 frying pan (iron skillets always work best for this).
2. Cut up chicken into cubes and start boiling it in the large cooking pot(or whatever meat(s) you choose, just make sure it is cooked by step 13).
3. Dice onions, bell pepper/jalapeno, and celery then set aside (a.k.a. the ‘trinity’).
4. Heat the ½ cup cooking oil in pan then add okra and cook for 15-18 minutes (browned a little bit) then set the okra aside.
5. Put the 3 tablespoons of butter in the 2nd large cooking pot, heat it up and start sautéing the onions, bell pepper, and celery (trinity) for 10 minutes. You’ll want to burn it a bit to help add flavor to the gumbo.
6. Add the large can of tomatoes along with it’s juices and smash up the tomatoes as you stir.
7. Add the 2 cups of chicken stock, 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, ½ tspn. oregano, ½ tspn. Garlic powder, and okra, excluding the okra oil.
8. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
9. *While that’s cooking make your roux:.
10. In frying pan heat 3 tablespoons oil up on med high.
11. Add 3 tablespoons of flour, and brown till you get a dark chocolate color , stirring constantly (this is the stinky part of making gumbo, but necessary).
12. Once brown, add the 1 ½ cup of chicken stock to make a gravy. Stir out all the lumps with whisk and set aside.
13. After the 30 minutes cooking time is up, add the roux and meat(s) to the pot.
14. Add salt and pepper (and Tony Chachere’s Seasoning & Louisiana Hot Sauce).
15. Cover again and cook for additional 30 minutes.
16. Serve over rice or eat as a soup.
Recipe adapted from: http://www.food.com/recipe/good-ol-gumbo-181035
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (553g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 624 (70%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 69.4g||92 %|
|Saturated Fat 18g||90 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 33.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 13.2g|
|Cholesterol 276.9mg||85 %|
|Sodium 1108.3mg||38 %|
|Potassium 1201.3mg||32 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 25.1g||7 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4.2g||17 %|
|Sugars, other 20.9g|
|Protein 43.3g||62 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 893
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.